Please click on a link below to view VSSC Policies:
1) Team Captains: Captains are responsible for knowing the policies of the VSSC outlined here as well as the rules of their specific sport. They are also responsible for making sure that their teammates are aware of these policies and rules. Captains are also responsible for making sure that all required equipment is present for all games.
Players: All participants must be 19 years of age or older.
2) Physical or Unsportsmanlike Play: Play that is rough or overtly aggressive, taunting, or un-sportsmanlike acts (name calling, threats and intimidation) will not be tolerated by the VSSC. If reports of this kind of behavior are received, the following steps are taken: i) First report - player or team receives a verbal warning. ii) Second report - player or team receives a second warning verbally and in writing. iii) Third report - player or team receives final verbal and written warning. iv) Fourth report - player or team is ejected from the league without refund and is not welcome back!
PLEASE NOTE: Teams can and will be held responsible for their players' conduct. If someone on your squad is behaving inappropriately, it is YOUR responsibility to keep him or her from doing so. In addition, the VSSC reserves the right to skip steps as outlined above and immediately eject a team or player from the league without refund.
3) Fighting/Punching: Instances of this behavior will be cause for immediate expulsion for all individuals involved, whether they are the instigators or retaliating.
4) Incidents Which Result in Loss of Permits: Any team involved with any incident that results in the loss of a permit, facility, location or field will be expelled from the league without refund.
5) Emergency Contact List: All team captains are advised to carry a list of emergency contact numbers for players on their team. In the event of an injury/emergency, these numbers can be utilized to notify the player's family in cases where medical treatment/attention is required. Captains are also advised to include a list of hospitals with emergency room service on this page. It will take the guesswork out of situations that are stressful and time sensitive.
6) First aid: First aid is the responsibility of the team captain. Ice packs, band aids, tensors and athletic tape are all things which can be used in the event of minor scrapes and bruises. If an VSSC representative is on hand when there is an injury, we will be happy to assist in any way we can. We are not, however, responsible for providing tape for bad ankles, fingers etc. The VSSC representative is not responsible for administering first aid. There may be a first-aid kit on-site at some venues, but please be prepared for all situations. VSSC is not responsible for the cost of emergency care. It is at the sole discretion of the injured player and/or team whether to call an ambulance.
7) Scores: It is a team captain’s responsibility to submit the scores of each game within 48 hours (this can be done via the VSSC website). If one team submits the score and the opposing team does not confirm within 48 hours, the score submitted will automatically be applied to both teams and the reporting team will receive 5 spirit points. Scores not reported by either team do not appear in the standings and spirit points are not awarded. Scores will only be available to confirm if a score is entered by one of the two teams within the 48 hour reporting period.
Score Disputes: In the case of a score dispute where both teams cannot come to an agreement on the final score, VSSC reserves the right of final judgment. All decisions from this point will be final.
8) Discrepancies: Discrepancies or arguments regarding scores, complaints, or any other ambiguous item must be dealt with within 3 business days after the latest posting of the scores on our website for the week in question. During the final week of the regular season, any and all discrepancies must be resolved by 5pm the following day. Captains should ensure that the score of their game has been recorded correctly by checking the VSSC website. PLEASE DO NOT CALL THE OFFICE LOOKING FOR SCORES – sometimes scores are delayed in being reported, but they will always be posted as soon as they become available.
9) Standings: Wins are worth 2 points, ties are worth 1, and losses are worth 0. If a team defaults, they will lose one point. Ties in the standings will be broken first on head-to-head play. If there are more than 2 teams that are tied, all the teams must have played each other in order for the results to go to head-to-head. Otherwise, least points against, then +/-, then most points for will determine the placement in that order (updated July 06). Standings will be posted here on the web site.
10) Waivers: All players, new or old to the VSSC, MUST fill out and sign a waiver, regardless if they have filled one out for previous seasons. These are to be returned to the VSSC by no later than the second week of play. Teams whose waivers aren't in by the second week will have scores recorded as losses.
11) Defaulting: Teams that default more than 2 games may be asked to leave the league without refund. If you know you may not be able to field a full team, please call the other captain in advance. You should attend with as many people as you can and play pick up. It is the fun and polite thing to do.
Captains may agree to waive the rules regarding the minimum people but this should be decided before the game starts. IF IT IS AGREED THAT THE GAME COUNTS, IT COUNTS! Should a default dispute arise and the game was played, the SSC ruling is that the game counts. Captains should communicate clearly regarding defaulting circumstances, as to avoid a potential dispute.
12) Dress: All players should bring both a dark & light coloured shirt to all games, and captains should decide who wears which colour. If teams have uniforms this may not be necessary. Also, players should remove all jewelry prior to play. Every player must wear non-marking athletic shoes to participate.
13) Alcohol: DRINKING OF ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES AT YOUR GAME SITE BEFORE, DURING, OR AFTER YOUR GAME IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED! OFFENDERS WILL BE ASKED TO LEAVE THE LEAGUE WITHOUT REFUND. No Exceptions.
15) Indoor Sports: Please respect the schools: put things back where you found them, take all of your items with you, and put trash in provided receptacles.
Remember: You are in someone's work and learning environment. You would not like it if someone came in at night and left a pile of water bottles and clothing on your desk. Please be out by the hour specified on your schedule. It will either be 9:30pm or 10pm. If you abuse this, game times will be made earlier and the league could lose its permits leaving you with NO REFUND and NO GAMES. This is in your hands. Enter and exit ONLY by the specified areas. Do not wander the schools in areas other than the gyms. Showers are not provided.
16) Blood: Any player who begins to bleed during a game must leave the playing area immediately. This player cannot return to the game until the bleeding has stopped and the wound has been sufficiently covered.
All SSC games go ahead rain or shine (including snow). In the event of severe weather (thunder, lightning, electrical storms, etc.), games should immediately be stopped and players should take cover away from open spaces. Observe the 30/30 rule and when there is 30 seconds or less between lightning and thunder, wait 30 minutes before resuming play. If the weather does not stop, check specific sport rules for detailed ruling outcome and confirm with your opponents. If one team shows up during foul weather to play and the other team is missing, or if one team leaves mid-game and there is an opportunity to continue play - it is an automatic win for the present team.
Unfortunately, SSC is not able to control weather conditions! In the event of a missed game due to weather, there will not be a rescheduled game. As stated above, both teams must show up at the time of their game to determine if it is safe to play AT THAT TIME/LOCATION during inclement weather.
In the case of a missed game due to weather in the first week of playoffs, the last game will be played 1st vs 2nd, 3rd vs 4th etc. In the case of a missed game in the second week of playoffs (final game), the final ranking of the standings page will determine the final placement for the season.
18) Metal Cleats: Metal cleats are not permitted in any VSSC leagues.
Cancellations/change of venues &/or change of time/day may occur on short notice. The VSSC will contact teams as soon as possible if such instances occur.
*Please note that in the event of a missed/cancelled game due to foul weather, the VSSC does NOT reschedule games.
20) Contact Information: VSSC members' contact information is provided to other team captains and individual registrants in their sport, in the event that players need to communicate regarding league issues. If players wish to have their contact information omitted from team listings, then VSSC cannot be held responsible for lapsed information or missed games. Contact information may also be posted by VSSC members themselves at the Player Forum. Groups or individuals who take or use this information for any other purpose than communicating about VSSC league activity will be ejected without appeal or refund and prosecuted to the maximum extent of the law. VSSC will not sell or distribute contact information to third parties.
21) Double header games: A double header occurs when there are an uneven amount of teams playing in one league. In order to allow every team the opportunity to play every week during the season - each week one team will play a double header (2 games back to back). This means one team will play their first game and then stay for their second game. The second game will not count towards this team’s overall points for the season. Double-header games are an hour and fifteen minutes in length.
Spirit Points are awarded on a scale from 0-5. When reporting scores, the captain must indicate the number of spirit points they would like to award to the other team. If a captain fails to call in the score, the other team will automatically receive a rating of 5. Spirit points account for 25% of the overall standings and the game results will account for 75%. To make this calculation, the raw number for spirit points must first be divided by 2.5 so that it is the same base number as your game points.
If a team defaults their game, they automatically lose their right to award spirit points to the team that they defaulted against - and the team that was defaulted upon automatically receives a "5" for their spirit score. Teams that are defaulted against can award the defaulting team any value that they want.
If a team chooses to award the opposing team a spirit point score of less than 3, it MUST be accompanied by a written report justifying the low score. The VSSC reserves the right to change the spirit point score if no report is submitted. Please note that once Spirit Point scores have been submitted, they can only be increased retrospectively, not decreased
*Remember: teams should automatically be giving other teams a 5 for spirit points and then deducting marks for anything negative that occurred in the game*
Teams that play by the rules, get to games on time, and play with good sportsmanship will flourish!
Spirit Rating = 5 - "Enjoyable game, everyone had fun, no issues"
Spirit Rating = 4 - "Good game, most people had fun, little to no issues"
Spirit Rating = 3 - "Satisfactory game, some people had fun, some issues"
Spirit Rating = 2 - "Unsatisfactory game, low level of fun, several issues"
Spirit Rating = 1 - "Unsportsmanship game, little enjoyment, significant issues"
Spirit Rating = 0 - "Extremely unsportsmanlike game, no one had fun, consequential issues"
Before Registration Deadline
After Registration Deadline