With an ongoing effort to continually be improving our sport leagues, and with direct feedback from our players, the following updates have been made to the rules. Note – these are highlights, full changes can be found in the rules section on the website and on sport pages.
It is the responsibility of captains and players to ensure you are aware of any changes.
Volleyball (Court & Beach)
- Contact with the net by a player during the action of playing the ball, is a violation (fault). The action of playing the ball includes (among others) take-off, landing, hit, block and set. Players may touch the post, ropes, or any other object outside the antennae, including the net itself, provided that it does not interfere with play.
- A default will occur if a team does not adhere to the equipment regulations. However, captains may agree to waive specific equipment rules, as long as it is agreed upon before the game begins. In the event there is a default dispute and the game was played, the SSC ruling is that the game counts.
Soccer (Indoor, Outdoor & Futsal)
- All free kicks and side kick-ins are indirect. To score off an indirect kick, the ball must be touched by another player (offense or defense, but not the keeper). This is a modification of the original rule to deter players from blasting the ball at the goal in an attempt to hit the ball off the goalie and into the net.
- If a ball is kicked out of bounds along the sidelines, an indirect kick-in is awarded to the opposite team. There will be no throw-ins at any time. The ball should be placed on sideline where it left the court. The player must have both feet on or outside the sideline. If a kick-in attempt results with the ball never entering the court, the play is retaken.
- If a ball is kicked out of bounds along the goal line by the offence, an indirect goal kick is awarded to the defending team.
- If a ball is kicked out of bounds along the goal line by the defense, a corner kick is awarded to the attacking team. A corner kick is not a ‘free kick’, therefore a goal can be scored directly from a corner-kick.
- Players are not allowed to play with gloves, bare hands only. Wraps or single-sided tape for supporting recovering injuries are acceptable, however cannot be performance enhancing.
- If an interception occurs in the end-zone and the player is flagged down, a touchback will occur, and the intercepting team will gain possession on the 10-yard line.
- The Quarterback may only run the football past the line of scrimmage when/if any defensive player crosses the line of scrimmage at the end of the 5 “steamboats”. If a defensive player does not cross the line of scrimmage, the Quarterback cannot run the ball.
- To start an offensive play, the ball must be snapped by the offensive Center, from the point of scrimmage to the Quarterback. There is no minimal distance required by the Quarterback who can be either up close to the Center or in a shot-gun formation. The Quarterback cannot self-snap.
- Once the ball has come in contact with a 2nd offensive player (Quarterback hand-off or throw to receiver), the defending players can cross over the line of scrimmage before the end of the 5 “steamboats” and engage with the offensive players.
General Policy Updates
DRINKING OF ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES OR SMOKING TOBACCO OR CANNABIS AT YOUR GAME SITE, WHICH INCLUDES INSIDE OR OUTSIDE THE FACILITY, ON SPORTS FIELDS OR BALL DIAMONDS, AND PARKING LOTS, BEFORE, DURING, OR AFTER YOUR GAME IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED! OFFENDERS WILL BE ASKED TO LEAVE THE LEAGUE WITHOUT REFUND OF ANY FEES PAID (NO EXCEPTIONS).